Sunday, March 18, 2012

Well We're off to a Great Start!

Greetings out there...This is my first "official" blog post. I am gearing up for the launch of my two web sites-check out the links on the top of the page and watch me grow! I would like to welcome everyone...or anyone...or you...or whoever might be looking...to my chaotic world of needlework. I am still not sure why it is called needlework...although sometimes it can be, like in those excruciating last few days when all you want to do is "get a project over with" or better yet...when you have taken on a large commission involving lots of colors that would clash in a garbage pail. Otherwise, I prefer the term "needle art" because that is what we do...create beautiful, expressive works of art. Whether it's charted or freeform and uncharted, it is what we create, with the love of hands and heart.

Right now I am full force on the "how to make tassels" web site. I think this is something really new on the web. I have made tassels for more than twenty years and finally have the time...and now with technology...to share so much of what I have learned about this often overlooked form of needle art and expression. From decorative to utilitarian, these thoroughly tactile objets d'art can be anything from simple to fabulously opulent and over the top.

And they can save your stash: Here is a bit to whet your whistle.


Here are some threads I had left in my "stash"...you know you have one! With some reactive procion dye, a few beads from my bead stash, some dyed ribbon (I buy yardages of silk and dye it myself), and a bit of the creative process, I turned this stuff into this:



This was so much fun, and the kind of thing you can learn how to do on my "how to make tassels" web site.

Of course, I am not all about tassels. I love needlework of all kinds and making dolls, too...I will be journalizing my fabulous journey here. I hope you'll join me...soon I hope to have a place for your pictures and as always look forward to comments too.

Also...don't forget to check out my website needleartslady.com. This was my first site and where I keep my galleries (still in progress but will be complete soon). There will also be instructional material there...check back often. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment